County Voice

Cost of living crisis advice

Citizen’s Advice Denbighshire 

The cost-of-living crisis has had a detrimental impact on all of us. The price of food and goods is higher, the amount it costs to heat our homes has increased (with the energy price cap set to increase again later this year), fuel is more expensive, and people’s income just isn’t stretching as far as it used to.

If you’re finding it hard to keep on top of your bills, struggling with debt management, aren’t sure whether your home is as energy efficient as possible, or would just like peace of mind knowing you’re claiming everything you’re entitled to, Citizens Advice Denbighshire is here to help.

We are able to offer free, confidential, impartial, and confidential advice and support.

With an income maximisation session, we’ll help make sure you’re claiming what is yours and that you’re receiving the correct amount of benefit, we’ll help identify and manage any debts and arrears you might have, we can refer you on to larger schemes and projects (whether that’s for new boilers or insulation through Nest, or helping with whatever grants are available), and we’ll help you with practical energy efficiency advice and small measures.

If you’re a member of the Armed Forces community, we have dedicated specialist energy advisers ready to help. Thanks to our partnership with Woody’s Lodge, with funding from the Energy Redress Scheme, our Force for Energy Project is able to offer you a home visit - alongside our usual offer of advice, support, and referral - to properly assess whether your home is as energy efficient as possible and give you small measures to help towards that.

With the cost-of-living set to increase, it’s important that you have access to all the support you need before crisis, so get in touch today for free, independent, impartial, and confidential advice.

Call 08082 787 933 or e-mail an adviser in our virtual waiting room (Monday-Friday, 9.30am to 4.30pm) >>>

Here are some helpful websites for more advice and support:

Denbighshire County Council -

Money Helper UK - joins up money and pensions guidance to make it quicker and easier to find the right help, MoneyHelper brings together the support and services of three government-backed financial guidance providers: the Money Advice Service, the Pensions Advisory Service and Pension Wise.

Turn2us - is a national charity, which tackles financial insecurity. It offers services to calculate what benefits you may be entitled to and runs a helpline to give support and information to people who don’t have access to the internet or find it hard to get online. Their helpline is 0808 802 2000

StepChange - provides free, expert debt advice either online or via the phone. You can speak to them about your debts, and they will look at your financial situation and advise you on what you can do next. Their debt advice helpline 0800 138 111

Mental Health – Samaritans - you think it’s an emergency or you would like to speak to someone on the phone, call the Samaritans. You can call the Samaritans helpline 116 123 Monday to Sunday at any time, calls are free from mobiles and landlines.

Keeping warm this winter – heating benefits advice. Did you know that there are a number of payments, advice and support available for you over the winter months for heating your home?  Here are just a few things to consider:

Winter Fuel Payment: If you were born on or before the 25 September 1956, you could get between £250 - £600 to help you pay your heating bills.  You would normally get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you are eligible and you get a State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit).  For more information call 0800 731 0160 or visit (Welsh

Cold Weather Payment: You could get a payment of £25 for each 7-day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March.  The average temperature in your area must be recorded as or forecast to be zero degrees or less for 7 consecutive days. If you’re receiving one of the benefits below, then you should be paid this automatically.

  • Pension Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit
  • Support for Mortgage Interest

For more information visit

National Concessionary Fuel Scheme: You could get free solid fuel or cash allowance for fuel if you’re an ex-employee of the National Coal Board (NCB) or British Coal Corporation (BCC).  You need to qualify to get the fuel allowance through the National Concessionary Fuel Scheme (NCFS), and you can only get the cash allowance if you’re already getting fuel through the scheme.  To check if you’re eligible contact NCFO on 0345 759 0529.

For more information about any of these heating benefits, please visit or speak to your housing officer on 01824 706000

For more information about support schemes available at the moment, please visit

Taylorfitch. Bringing Newsletters to life